Castile soap is a really lovely product with so many possibilities! It is perfect for travelling and a small bottle is all you need for your summer holidays.
Castile soap originated in Spain at the time of the Crusades and has been popular ever since. It has always been made with vegetable oils and originally olive oil was the main ingredient. Since then, recipes have been refined and now the Greenscents formulation is made with organic sunflower and organic coconut oils that have been saponified (turned into soap) creating salts. The salts in castile soap mean that it is alkaline (usually around pH 9.0) and the alkalinity helps to remove dirt and excess oils when the soap is added to water.
Castile soap is incredibly popular in the USA and deserves to be more popular in the UK. It is easy to use for so many purposes, is 100% biodegradable, non-toxic and can be personalised with organic essential oils.
As you would expect, Greenscents Castile soap has an impressive list of credentials:
- Our soap has 96% certified organic ingredients.
- Greenscents Castile soap is 100% vegan and is certified by The Vegan Society.
- Our soap is certified palm oil free.
- Our soap is certified cruelty free by Cruelty Free International.
- Super-concentrated – a small bottle goes a long way!
- We offer unfragranced castile soap as part of our Nonscents collection and minty or lavender organic essential oil blends.
How to use castile soap
In the UK we are familiar with many different cleaning, laundry and body care products. We have come to expect to have an under-sink cupboard chock-full of different bottles for every task. What if we decided to do away with all those different bottles, to live more simply and just have one? Castile soap would be your go-to product!
Let’s just look at some of the favourite uses of Castile soap.
Every day applications include:
- Laundry wash – it is an excellent laundry liquid. We recommend a little more than our regular laundry liquid: 35-40 ml for a standard 5-6 kg wash.
- Laundry bright – castile soap is fantastic for white laundry. Try a hot wash with castile soap for cottons and linens such as bedlinen, towels and t-towels and you will be amazed by the results.
- Stain remover – a variety of natural stains can be removed with castile soap: examples include blood, food, grass, tea and natural cooking oils. Just pour a small amount of castile soap on to the stain and leave for up to 30 minutes before machine washing in the normal way.
- Hand wash – castile soap is a great hand wash. For sensitive skin, do remember to use an emollient hand cream after washing.
- Dishwasher liquid – with lower foaming, castile soap can be used as a great dishwasher liquid.
- All-purpose household cleaner – a great alternative to Greenscents All-Purpose Sanitiser and can be used in exactly the same way.
Occasional or holiday uses include:
- Toothpaste – try our Minty flavour for a great oral clean.
- Shampoo – all three fragrance options make a great shampoo. There may be less foam than usual, but the wash is just as good.
- Body wash – ideal in the shower or bath, castile soap is great for summer holidays and neutralising odour and perspiration.
This non-toxic soap is as versatile as your imagination. Always make sure you purchase the best quality product. There is no better than the Greenscents brand for purity and authenticity. Shop for Greenscents organic Castile soap here.